What you'll do
We are looking for forward thinking people to help us create amazing things! That's why we're recruiting for this Software Engineer Placement role, which is designed for a university student looking for a year in industry as part of their degree.
This is a fantastic opportunity to code and learn with some of the industry’s best engineers, working on a great variety of projects for prestigious clients - no two days are the same! We have a helpful and open working environment and team, which means that you can easily have conversations and sit-downs with managers across all levels for support and advice.
As a placement student you will go through our training programme, covering such as areas as:
- Setting up a new project
- Creating build and release pipelines
- Building the front-end and server side
- Working with a CMS
These will give you an initial understanding of various key aspects of development, helping you to build your skills and experience for the remainder of the placement.
Here at MMT Digital we aren’t as corporate as some companies, we know that people thrive in a fun working environment – so that’s just what we’ve created!
Among your primary responsibilities will be:
- Working, with the guidance of your Project team, to deliver solutions to our clients on time and budget, in line with the technical vision for the project and company best practices.
- Refining and estimating work using standard Agile practices and methodologies as part of the project team
- Learning to deliver in line with MMT quality standards, responding to written standards and quality processes such as Pull Requests and pair programming.
- Learning to take end-to-end responsibility for the delivered solutions in terms of infrastructure, testing, release pipeline, deployment and operational performance.
- Creating and maintaining sufficient levels of documentation for the solutions produced.
- Assisting project teams in spotting business opportunities within and around your projects.
Your secondary responsibilities will be:
- Assisting the Project Governance Team in successful delivery of project value, through:
- Helping to spot stories which don’t meet the Definition of Ready.
- Delivering against both the MMT standards for quality, and team-level Definition of Done.
- Escalating concerns or risks that may impact project success.
- Encouraging a Lean approach to development.
- Reacting quickly to coaching and guidance provided by development peers in the interest of quality.
What you'll bring
In order to flourish in this role, you’ll need the following:
- Studying towards Computer Science, Cyber Security or other industry-relevant degree
- Awareness of quality assurance and related testing frameworks
- A basic understanding of cloud technologies and their applications
- A basic understanding of development methodologies, specifically Agile (Scrum)
- Enthusiasm and personal drive to excel in the role
- Passionate about all things web based; generally interested in new technology and keen to learn more
- Be a great team worker
- Confident communicator when liaising with colleagues, or directly with clients
It would also be great (but not essential) if you have:
- Experience of using Content Management Systems
- Basic knowledge of some CI/CD tools, and how to use them
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to respond well to change
What you'll get
Here at MMT Digital we care about the people that work with us, and we have tried to reflect this in our benefits package.
- Annual salary review
- Company bonus scheme
- An environment which supports and celebrates your personal development and growth
- The opportunity to join internal groups which foster innovation and technical excellence
- Lunch & Learn and Brown Bag sessions
- Magic moments – a personalised peer to peer reward recognition scheme
- Paid volunteering day, and support for fundraising activities
- Cycle to work
- Personal carbon offsetting salary sacrifice scheme
- A social events committee that organise social events throughout the year including our awesome Christmas party
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave pay, along with a hamper to celebrate your new arrival
- Access to Health Assured, our free Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to a range of rewards and benefits through the Digital Perks platform
- Cakes for your birthday - everyone loves cake!
What motivates us
Everything we do is driven by our 3 core Values – Fairness, Commercialism and Quality.
These values influence our ways of working, how we treat each other, and how we engage with our clients. They also guide and shape our behaviours. This means we know what we stand for and we recognise the behaviours that we don’t tolerate - including discrimination, bullying and intimidation.
We also know that our best work happens when we feel valued, supported, and recognised as the individuals we are. So we’re working hard to continue celebrating the diversity of our team, and are committed to growing this further. We encourage our team to talk confidently and passionately about what matters to them, inspiring them to share their knowledge and experiences. We also facilitate this through our internal information hubs and regular informal learning opportunities.
Our team are empowered to be solutions focused, commercially curious, and to be agile by nature. We show understanding, we don’t blame, we learn and we have fun!
Who we are
MMT Digital helps clients build digital products that transform business performance.
Part agency, part consultancy, we are leaders in combining technology, experience design and lean product delivery, supporting senior technology leaders to digitally enable their businesses.
We work with clients such as Bacardi, Vodafone, BP and comparethemarket.com to digitally enable their businesses and help them drive the most value to their customers at speed and scale. Our collaborative approach means we build open and honest relationships that bring success faster, working with clients in high performing distributed teams.
Acquired by MSQ in 2020, MMT Digital has been rated the UK’s most recommended digital partner by clients for the last seven years (The Drum Recommends) and picked up an impressive six awards in 2020.
We’ve committed to reducing our carbon footprint to become Net Carbon Negative in 2020. Our company pledge supports and influences our people and our clients, and also encourages other businesses to join our Net Carbon Negative Movement.